Wednesday 22 April 2015

Mushrooms for breakfast
A short story ~


Golden shifts of twinkling light are shimmering on the ripples of the river, as the early morning March sun awakens after the night's thunderstorm, to start the day. The low spring morning's sun highlights the pockets of mist still clinging to the dew-laden ground, reflecting on dripping webs and sodden blades of grass.

The cows sent out early to start their first graze of the day seem oblivious to the chill the damp mist brings, chomping on the new green growth A dragonfly dances inches above the water to the melody of the rivers flow, one eye on the water, one on the kingfisher waiting for his morning's catch, his green and plumb plumage glistening in the sunshine, as he eyes his potential prey in the river. Boosted by the night's rain, my dog Ben and I, his tail like a non-stop propeller, are on our morning rounds taking in the beautiful English countryside in the search for nature's food this early spring morning. Suddenly with a rush of wings, a pheasant flies off up into the apricot sky from Ben's inquisitive approach only to land a few yards away as if in a defiant challenge to, "Chase me again."



A lone fisherman sits on the bank of the river, his float following the tide inland bringing the channel's brackish flow to mix with the clear fresh waters running down into the river Arun from the Sussex downs, Tench, Carp, and Roach and Bream all potential victims to his hook. I'm on a search for Boletes and Parasols, Blewitt and Wax caps, yes March might be sometimes wet and the grass is soaked with dew, but when the sun shines after an early morning thunderstorm the Mushrooms will be in abundance and I had set my mind on some for my breakfast.


Very soon my basket is full of mushrooms; I managed to find some wild springtime bluebells, and a couple of twigs of pussy willow to brighten up my windowsill. A whistle brings my dog to my side and it's time to make our homeward journey, he shakes his glossy soaking coat, and now I am as wet as he, why does he always wait till he is by my side to do that? I smile, feeling the warm sun already starting to dry me as we make our way home


Towards the end of the day Ben and I settle down and cuddle up for our bedtime story, A story of chasing rabbits and butterflies through the grassy English meadows of buttercups and poppies, sometimes I can't see Ben as he dashes through the long grass every now and again jumping up to see where I am. The sweet smell of the Northern marsh orchid mixed in with the yellow rattle wafts up and perfumes the air as Ben disturbs the blossoms.



"We had a lovely day didn't we Ben? But the rabbits were too fast for you, are you getting old?" Ben looks up at me as he snuggles in closer, he loves his Bedtime story and now it's time for bed, with a yawn and a stretch Bed settles on the mat in front of my chair, I flick the light switch as I make my way up to bed, "nigh night Ben, see you in the morning."

No comments:

Post a Comment