Wednesday 22 April 2015

Too soon came the night
  ~ Johnny Silver Private eye ~


I got to my office that morning with a thought of a new year and a new start, I made an approving glance the sign on the door, it read "Johnny Silver, Privet eye" I smiled and thought

"Well at least the sign writer spelt my name right"

Checking the mail I found a wad of money for some work I had done earlier, I thought
“I’ll be able to eat today.”

A quick call to Jenny my girlfriend to tell her, “I was on my way,” I jumped into my Aston and drove my way to the office. “The day seemed to have started well,” I thought, stopping at the lights another car drew up beside me, two men jumped out and pulled open my driver’s door. I felt a sharp blow on the back of my head, falling into a swirl of darkness and pain, the next thing I knew, a small boy scout was leaning over me.

“Are you OK Mr?” the boy said I shook my head and murmured
“Yeah sure I’m ok thanks, kid, what the hell happened?”
The small boy explained what he had seen;”
it had all happened so quick Mr Two men jumped you and then drove off, but I have their number if you want it Mr?”

I checked my pockets, my money had gone. I took the number thanked the small boy and drove off., pulling into a drive-in on the way back, to mop some blood from my brow, I made it back at the office, I poured myself an extra large Jack D lit a Havana and gave Jenny a call to tell her of the mornings events.

A call to my mate at the registration office with the number the kid had given me, quickly finds the owner and address of the car that jumped me; splashing my face under the tap I make my way to the address I was given.

Parking the Aston a little way back I make my way to the address on foot, a long driveway leads me to the front of the house, crouching under the window I make my way round to the back where I find an open window.

 Climbing in I slowly cross the room, to a door that is a little ajar I can hear voices coming from across the hall, the door to where the voices are coming from has a glass panel above.
I look around and find a chair to stand on, in the room, were the two men that jumped me, one tall and slim the other short with a black patch over one eye,

I step down and make my way back into the empty room. With the door a little ajar I sit and wait. After a short time the eye patch leaves the room and makes his way down the hall to the front door shutting the door behind him I now return my attention back to the room, another hour passes I can hear the tall slim guy talking loud on the phone, slamming the phone down he too now makes his way down the hallway and leaves.

Waiting a short spell just to make sure I was alone in the house, now satisfied I return to the room with the glass panel, slowly opening the door I can see the room is empty, looking around I start to search the place, at last, in a drawer in the desk I find my wad of money, with a smile I slip it in my pocket, and make my way across to the other room, climbing out of the window I make my way back to my Aston.

The sound of “Johnny comes marching home” emanates from my mobile; I recognize the number “Hi sweet” “Johnny come quick, something awful has happened.” “It was Jenny “sure I’ll be right round sweet” slamming the door behind me, I drive to the Jenny’s home, she was waiting at the door for me,

I could see she had been crying, oh Johnny, come and see what’s happened, my husband has been murdered and they have wrecked the place, the room looked as if a bomb had hit it and there on the floor in a pool of blood was Jenny’s husband. I told Jenny to make her way to the pub on the corner and I would ring the police and then join her.

A quick call to the local Constabulary soon brought a Detective and the local Bobby to the pub, I was well known to the police in my capacity as a privet eye, I told Jenny” to stay at the pub while I took the cops to the house” she nodded, the DI turned to her and said “You had better stay here miss while I go with Johnny to the house we will need to ask you some questions later.” I got to the house with the cops and opened the door to the living room” he’s in here “I said. “I can see the place is a mess Johnny but where’s the body?”

The body disappears It was gone all that was left was the blood stain on the carpet, “I don’t understand” I said” it was just here when I left with Jenny to go to the pub. You had better get back to the pub and stay there till we have finished here” I made my way back to the pub. “OK Jenny spill all “I asked, she told me of how she had heard a noise downstairs and found the scene as I saw it when I arrived, “did you see anyone Jenny” “No all I heard was a cry and that is how I found him, I called you straight away”

”That’s good sweet just remember to tell that to the police just as you have just told me when you get quizzed” I told her that “The body had disappeared” she looked at me in disbelieve “How could it Johnny we only left the house a while ago. After a short while, the cops arrived at the pub,

“Do you need me boss?” I asked the DI. “No you can go” he said “just make yourself available if we need you” with that I smiled at Jenny and drove Aston back to the office; I had things to do and some loose ends to tidy up. Back at the pub DI burdock was asking Jenny some probing questions,”

Tell me more about how you found your husband” “I just heard a noise and when I went downstairs that is what I saw” “you mean you didn’t see anyone else?” queried the bobby” you must have seen something else?” Jenny shifted nervously on her chair. “I told you, I saw nothing” she sobbed. “I called Johnny right away and when he arrived we then came here to the pub to wait for you” “And was it here at the pub that Johnny rang us? He asked, “No he did that at the house before he left.”

“How you mean he left? Don’t you mean we left?” “No” said Jenny “I left first, and then after Johnny rang you he joined me here” “So how long was it before he joined you” quizzed the DI “It couldn’t have been long, I ordered a drink and sat down and then Johnny came in and sat with me”

 “We might have to ask you some more questions later” the DI said, “So stay around” the two police left, Jenny quickly picked up the phone to ring me,” Johnny I’m scared” she said, “please come over, I think the police think I did it and you know I would never harm my husband, I didn’t love him but I would never kill him” “I know” I said “I’ll be there later sweet”. I was just about to join Jenny when the door opened it was the police

 “We need to speak to you Johnny” “Sure anything I can do to help I will” “When you went to the pub from the house after you found the body did you leave together?” asked the DI Yup we left together and I rang you when I got to the pub” “Well Jenny told us you phoned from the house and then joined her later, what we want to know is what did you do with the body Johnny?”

“No, you got it wrong,” I said, “I rang from the pub; the phone was in another room so Jenny didn’t see me ring,”
DI Johnston said “We checked the phone in the house Johnny and the last call was to the police, the DI looked me in the eye and said “Johnny I put it to you, that on the evening of the 6th. you murdered David McCoy and hid his body and then rang the police in an attempt to the pervert the course of justice,

Johnny Silver I arrest for the murder of David McCoy, anything you say may be taken down in used in evidence against you” Here I sit in this cold cell waiting to find out my sentence, I did it for the love of a woman, and now I face a life in prison at least my words may serve as a warning to other.

No comments:

Post a Comment